Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Trailers - Ain't no big thing, the sequel

Okay, I know, I recently reported how scary trailers were.  That was before Peggy's friend Liz Kanan came over and helped me get over my fear.  She just had a different way of asking me, and then I just did it.  I don't know why, but I did. 

Then when Miss Liz was showing Peggy how well I load, I decided to put on a little show.  I reared up really high and said, "No, I'm not going in that trailer!"  But Liz said, "Yes, Miss Heaven, you will go in that trailer." And, much to my surprise, I did just that.  No fussing, no fighting, no rearing.  The show was over.  

So then, Peggy gets all excited and she wants to be the one to put me in the trailer.  So just for fun, I walked right in.  Didn't even hesitate or anything.  She was really surprised, but very very happy.  Why is it that humans get happy and weird about the strangest things, like going in a stupid trailer?

Well, I probably never should have showed Peggy that I could go in and out of that darned trailer.  Now, she makes me eat breakfast in there, every single solitary day.  Same thing, every day.  She comes out to the barn about 6 a.m., just when the sun is coming up.  She feeds Reno and Tahoe and just when I think she's going to dump my food, she gets a halter and my bucket. 
Then she makes me leave my nice comfy stall, walk over to the trailer (which she has left in the yard for weeks now) and leads me in.  Not once have I resisted - even a little.  Okay, maybe a second or two hesitation, but only to prove that this is really my idea, not hers.

She hangs my bucket on the wall and then stands with me, patting me and rubbing me, while I eat a little.  She even bangs that darned trailer divider like I'm going to be afraid of that, or something.  Then, real gently, she slips out and closes that darned divider.  But she sometimes still stands there and pets me to make sure I'm not scared.  I'm not really, but I don't like being in there all alone.

Sometimes she leaves to go do some other things and then if I can't see her, I start moving around a lot to see if I can make her come back.  Sometimes she does - sometimes, like today, she didn't come back right away.  I think she was cleaning my stall and playing with Reno and Tahoe.  Hey, what about me?

But she wasn't gone too long.  Then she opens the divider and I always think, "Yeah!  I'm getting out of here."  But for some reason, she still makes me stand there and just breathe and relax and enjoy my food. Eventually she'll ask me to back out of the trailer.  Now, this I don't understand.  Why do I have to back out when I don't have eyes in the back of my head?  If she would just let me turn around and jump out face forward it would be a whole lot easier.  Still, she wants me to back out, one small step at a time.  Sometimes I surprise her and go really, really fast.  Sometimes I go slow - it all depends.  Can't tell you why sometimes I do one and sometimes, the other.  I just do.  And, one time, she wasn't quick enough and I managed to turn all the way around and go out face first, just like I want to.  But then every other time after that, she's been really careful not to let me turn around. 

Today, I backed out pretty good but hurried quite a bit at the end.  I just wanted out.  Can you believe it, she made me put my two front feet back in and then back down again?  What will she think of next? 

Anyway, just wanted to give you the update - no big thang those trailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment